Easter Eggs is the name
given to some funny "secret" animations and features hidden inside software.
Here are some of the Easter Eggs that are hiding inside some of the
Microsoft products. Please scroll down this page and follow the
Internet Explorer 4.x
- Open the About box from the Help | About
- Press the Ctrl key and drag the styled-e at
the upper right corner to the world icon on the left then
push the text
- An Unlock button appears, press it and move back the
styled-e to the world icon.
- Click the Compose Message button, and make sure that
Rich Text (HTML) is selected in the Format
menu of the New Message window.
- Now click in the main body of the new message to make the formatting
toolbar come to life.
- Click in the Font selection box and type in
and press Enter.
- Go back into the main Outlook Express program and click on
Outlook Express at the top of the folders list.
- Click an empty space on the page that appears and type About
to see the names of the OE team fly on to your screen.
Internet Explorer 5.0
Internet Explorer #1
- Open up Notepad
- Type <!-- introducing the Trident team -->
- Save the file as test.htm (it must be saved as an HTM
- Open up test.htm in IE 5.0.
Internet Explorer #2
- Open up IE 5
- From the menu, select Tools | Internet Options.
- Select the General tab and press the
- Press the Add button
- Type ie-ee and click OK
- Move User Defined "ie-ee" to the top
of the list
- Exit back to where you can browse in IE 5 again
- Click on the Search toolbar button (to open
- Click Customize
- Also, select Previous Searches
- Create a new normal database.
- Make a new table and call it: Go Speed Racer Go
- Choose Help | About and double-click on the bitmap on
the left side with the right button.
Magic Eight Ball
- Create a new database
- Select the Macros tab and press New.
- Press the space bar and close the dialog box.
- When asked to save, reply with Yes.
- Save this macro as Magic Eight Ball
- Select View | Toolbars | Customize... and tick
- Drag the macro from the window to the Macro Design
- Click the button of this new macro.
Aka "Flight Simulator"
- Start Excel 97 and press F5.
- Now type X97:L97 and press Enter.
- Press Tab, then depress the Shift
Control keys at the same time.
- While holding down the keys, click Chart Wizard icon
in the toolbar. Enjoy!
- Start Word 97 and open a new document.
- Type in the word Blue. Select the word.
- Select Format | Font. Change it to bold and change
the color to Blue, then click OK.
- Add a space after the word Blue.
- Choose Help | About Microsoft Word.
- Hold down Ctrl + Shift and click the Word icon on the left side of the
- The game appears. Use Z and M to
work the flippers and Esc to end the game.
- Select Help | About Microsoft Word.
- The About box appears.
- Hold down the Ctrl + Shift + Alt keys at the same time.
- Click on the horizontal divider in the About box.
- The Word 97 splash screen appears.
- In FrontPage Explorer hold down the Shift key (and
keep it down)
- Select Help | About and press OK.
Redo that 2 more times (still with the Shift key down)
- A dialog box with the developers credits screen and music will appear.
CD Deluxe Player
- Go to the Edit playlist dialog for any song.
- Type "Microsoft Plus!98 Product Team" in for the artist.
- Type "Credits" in for the title and hold down the
key and click Cancel.
- You will get a new root level item in the tree view of the album
database called "Microsoft Plus!98 Product Team" you can expand
it to explore the team names.
- Open Date/Time Properties by double-clicking the
clock on the Windows 98 taskbar.
- Go to the Time Zone tab.
- Hold down Ctrl on your keyboard and click the cursor
on Memphis in Egypt (don't release it), then drag the mouse
over to Memphis, Tennessee in the United States.
- Now release the mouse button. Re-press the Ctrl key
and then re-press the mouse button and drag to Redmond, Washington,
home of the Microsoft campus. Now enjoy the Easter Egg !
Windows NT 4.0
In the 3D Text screen saver enter one of these 3 texts
I Love NT
Not Evil (this is an anagram
for I Love NT)
Norton Antivirus 2000
- In Norton Antivirus, select Help | About Norton Antivirus.
- In the About box, select the Norton AntiVirus tab.
- Now hold down the N, A, and V keys all at the same time.
- The picture of the Norton Antivirus team appears.
- Move the mouse pointer over the faces of the people to see their
- Press Esc or ALT+ F4 to close the window.